City of Napoleon
Napoleon is a river city of over 9,000 people located on the Maumee River in Henry County. The city is the county seat of Henry County and home to a fine courthouse erected in 1882. The courthouse and the jail, built at the same time, are both on the National Register of Historic Places.
City Manager Jon Bisher is a native of Napoleon and a graduate of Napoleon High School. He is a past president of Northwest Ohio Regional Economic Development Association (NORED). Bisher attends many TMACOG professional development events. He said, “It’s important for us to stay in contact with other cities that might have the same challenges that Napoleon faces. Also at TMACOG there are a lot of resources when it comes to questions about environmental regulations or transportation issues.”
Napoleon has its own water supply and water treatment plants. Drinking water comes from the Maumee River and the Wauseon Reservoir. Napoleon Light and Power is a municipal electric system. It owns portions of diverse generating resources including coal fired, hydroelectric, natural gas, diesel and even owns a piece of the commercial wind farm in Bowling Green.
Unlike many northwestern Ohio cities, Napoleon’s economy has traditionally been based on agri-business rather than the automotive industry. The Napoleon Campbell Soup plant is the largest soup plant in the country. The city also has plastics manufacturers and well-established tool and die businesses. Residents of the city enjoy fishing and boating and have a municipal golf course and ten city parks.
Other Henry County members of TMACOG include the Napoleon/Henry County Chamber of Commerce, NORED, and Northwest State Community College.