Member Highlight: Village of Ottawa Hills
The Village of Ottawa Hills is an almost entirely residential community on the west side of Toledo, adjacent to Sylvania Township. The village was established in 1915 when John North Willys, president of the Overland Company, acquired approximately 1,200 acres and began to design the village. The original boundary began at the intersection of Bancroft Street and Indian Road and extended along the Ottawa River to Central Avenue. The village is now larger than that original plat. It is now about two square miles and extends south of Bancroft on both sides of the Ottawa River.
Ottawa Hills includes a mixture of large and small lots, winding tree-lined streets, and well-maintained parklands. With the river, extensive landscaping, open land, and proximity to Wildwood Metropark, Ottawa Hills is home to a diverse bird and wildlife population. Deer are common and foxes and bald eagles have been sighted.
As a residential village with essentially no commercial activity, many community events focus around the outstanding school system. Based on 2009-2010 testing data released by the Ohio Department of Education, the Ottawa Hills School District is ranked third in the state. The district is also rated “Excellent with Distinction” by the State of Ohio for the third consecutive year. With a population of about 4,600, the village maintains its own police and fire departments and 911 dispatchers.
Ottawa Hills is a longtime member of TMACOG and village officials participate in activities. Mayor Kevin Gilmore says, "In addition to their regional efforts, TMACOG provides very direct services to member communities. Recently, TMACOG has helped Ottawa Hills by doing projects ranging from traffic counts on village streets to designing, finding funding, and implementing water quality projects on the Ottawa River."