The City of Rossford was established in 1898 as old-fashioned company town. Edward Ford of the Libbey-Owens-Ford Company founded the city around his factory – the Edward Ford Plate Glass Company – on land to the east of the Maumee River. The factory came first and a city followed as it became populated with employees.
The city has grown since Ford purchased 173 acres. It is now 4.3 square miles and population is about 6,400. While manufacturing is still the most common employment in the city, Rossford is more of a bedroom community now; population drops by 24 percent during the workday.
The Rossford School District covers a much larger area. With three grade schools, a high school, and a junior high, the district serves approximately 2000 students in a 42-square-mile area. The district includes parts of Wood County within the cities of Rossford and Northwood, and townships of Perrysburg and Lake.
Rossford officials have been regular participants in TMACOG activities including recent discussions about public transit and the potential for a regional water authority.