ITS Architecture Updated
Work on an update to the region’s Intelligent Transportation Sysem (ITS) Architecture is being completed by consultant ConSysTec. The firm will make a presentation at the regularly scheduled meeting of the Transportation Council, Wednesday, September 7 at 3 p.m. in the TMACOG Boardroom.
The goal of the ITS Architecture update is to identify participating agencies and inventory their communication systems, look for ways to better integrate existing systems, and plan for growing and maintaining an efficient architecture. Elements of the system include emergency radio systems, programmable road signs, and traffic signals that can be programmed to streamline emergency traffic. TMACOG is required to maintain an up-to-date inventory and description of the region’s ITS Architecture.
TMACOG staff and regional governments have several goals:
• Update the original 2004 Architecture to a new 15-year planning year horizon
• Update and inventory the list of regional stakeholders;
• Identify ITS projects in our region that have been completed since the original plan;
• Update, identify, and inventory new ITS projects (since implementation of the 2004 plan) for inclusion in the Architecture; and
• Update and modernize the website that houses all of this information.
Some elements that have been added or improved since the last update include:
• Lucas County 911 Center – With access to County and ODOT traffic cameras on a video wall;
• MAASTO Truck Parking – Interstate truck parking system providing parking information to commercial vehicles;
• OHGO Mobile Applications – A mobile application for the ODOT travel condition website www.ohgo.com;
• MDOT I-75 ICM – This project will manage I-75 in Michigan using an Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) strategy;
• TARTA GTFS – This project will create a General Transit Feed Specification (a common format for transit schedules and associated geographic information) of electronic schedule data available on the agency website.
The ITS Architecture is currently housed here: http://www.consystec.com/ohio/toledo/web/index.htm. There is also a link from the ITS Planning page on the TMACOG website here.
For questions on the ITS Architecture, contact TMACOG Transportation Planner/Database Analyst Lisa Householder, 419.241.9155, ext. 124.